Living, Working, and Studying in Australia

On this page:
Living, Working, and Studying in Australia
Cambridge College Australia - M Shapes in red
Cambridge College Australia - Delta Shapes in red
Cambridge College Australia - X Shapes in red

Studying in Australia

Here are some important resources you can use to find out about your study options, and your rights and responsibilities as a student in Australia.

Studying at Cambridge College Australia (CCA)

Courses for international students

You can find information about which courses are available to international students here:

Accredited Training Programs

Accredited programs are competency based which means that training and assessment focus on the development and recognition of a person’s ability to apply relevant knowledge and skills to perform workplace tasks to a specified standard.

The specific skills and knowledge required for particular workplace activities are set out in Units of Competency which can be grouped together to formulate the completion of a nationally recognised qualification.  Nationally recognised qualifications are outlined in Training Packages available at

CCA only delivers our courses face to face for a minimum of 20 hours per week

For further details of individual course requirements including the entry requirements (academic and English), course credit/RPL, content, duration and cost, assessment methods and modes of study, please refer to the individual course marketing material found on our website.

Fees are subject to change.

CCA has no agreements with any other party in the delivery of any of its courses

There is no work-based training associated with our courses.

Course credit/RPL

Course credit is exemption from enrolment in a particular part of the course as a result of previous study, experience or recognition of a competency currently held, includes academic credit and recognition of prior learning.

Students that already have a Statement of Attainment for a Unit of Competency may apply for Course Credit. Course credit may reduce the length of a student’s course.

Students that believe they already have the skills and knowledge required to demonstrate competency can request Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). RPL may reduce the length of a student’s course.

CCA requires students to complete the Application for Recognition of course credit/ RPL form for assessment by the relevant trainer/ assessor. Evidence is required to substantiate previous knowledge/ qualifications.

CCA may require students to complete an assessment to demonstrate competency.

If CCA grants the student course credit/ RPL which leads to a shortening of the student’s course before the student visa is granted, the CoE will indicate the actual net course duration for the course.

If course credit/ RPL is granted after the student’s visa is granted, any change of course duration will be reported to DET via PRISMS within 14 days after the event as specified under the ESOS Act.

For further information about Course Credit please see our course credit policy, available on our website. [Open Downloads]

General entry requirements

English courses

  • 18 years old
  • Pass the CCA internal English placement test on first day of study

Other courses

  • 18 years old
  • IELTS 5.5 or equivalent
  • Year 12 High School or equivalent

Student visas

The Australian Government’s Department of Home Affairs (DHA) provides comprehensive information about student visa requirements and the application process, as well as the latest information.

Visa requirements

Please take careful note of the following conditions that apply to student visas:


  • You cannot work more than 40 hours per fortnight when your course is in session
  • You can work for more than 40 hours per fortnight during recognised vacation periods offered by your education provider
  • You cannot start paid work until you have started your course in Australia.


  • You must remain Enroled in a registered course.
    • A registered course is one that is on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).
  • You must maintain enrolment in a registered course that is the same level as, or at a higher level than, the registered course for which you were granted a visa
  • You must maintain satisfactory attendance in your course and course progress for each study period as required by your education provider.

Health insurance

  • You must maintain adequate arrangements for health insurance during your stay in Australia. Note: Under policy, you must maintain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).

Financial capability

  • You must continue to satisfy the requirements for grant of your student visa. This means, for example, that you continue to have sufficient financial capacity to support your study and stay in Australia.


  • You must maintain adequate schooling arrangements for your school-age dependents who joined you in Australia for more than 3 months as part of your student visa application.


  • You must tell your education provider:
    • the address where you live in Australia within seven days of arriving in Australia
    • if you change the address where you live within seven days of the change
    • if you change education provider within seven days of receiving the electronic confirmation of enrolment certificate or evidence of enrolment.


Migration Agents

A migration agent can assist you in submitting your visa application and communicate with DHA on your behalf, but please note that you do not need to use a migration agent to lodge any kind of visa application.

Education Agents

Education agents promote various Australian education programs and institutions internationally and are a good way for students to apply to study in Australia. Education Agents are experienced in assisting with international student applications and applying for visas.  Most speak both English and the local language, so this makes the application process a lot simpler and generally hassle free for students and parents.  Most do not charge for their service as they collect a commission from the school you choose to attend.  However, some agents do charge small amounts or offer additional services for which they charge.  You can check our website to see a current list of agents we recommend.

Please note: Although able to assist in completing education and visa applications, Education Agents are NOT licensed to provide migration advice.

Telephone and postal services

Low cost mobile phones and SIM cards are available at many retailers.

Coin operated public phones are also available at many locations.

Most suburbans have post offices and postal services.

Here are some handy tools to help you locate phones or postal services.


It is your responsibility to locate your accommodation.

CCA can assist you by referring you to various websites or companies that specialise in student accommodation.

There is more information in the Student Handbook, available on our website.

Some accommodation websites:

Work rights

Students working in Australia should be paid fairly for the work they do and work under reasonable conditions. Pay rates and workplace conditions are set by Australian law.

The Pay and Conditions Tool (PACT) provides information on pay rates, shift calculations, leave arrangements and notice and redundancy entitlements.

The Fair Work Ombudsman can give you further information and advice about your workplace rights and obligations, and has workplace information translated into different languages.

There are rules about what employees get at work, such as what hours they work and how often they have to have a break.

Your employer cannot cancel your visa

Only the Department of Home Affairs can grant, refuse or cancel visas. Visa cancellation is not automatic in circumstances where a visa holder has breached their visa conditions.  If you are under consideration for visa cancellation, you will have the opportunity to provide reasons as to why your visa should not be cancelled.

It often helps to keep a diary of days and hours worked keep copies or records of employment details, pay slips, agreements and superannuation and tax documents.

All visa holders who believe they might have been exploited or underpaid should approach the Fair Work Ombudsman (FWO) through the Fair Work Infoline on 13 13 94 or through their anonymous reporting service.

Attractions: Things To Do